Breaking the Silence on Period Poverty and Menstrual Stigma
In Instagram Live session, the founder of Neya Global, Ms. Anna Neya, joined forces with the esteemed founder of Nicholas Motivates Initiative (Abuja, Nigeria), Ugwuanyi Nicholason @mayor_of_nsukka for an enlightening conversation on a pressing issue of our time: Period Poverty, Menstrual Shame, Menstrual Stigma, and Menstrual Taboos in the 21st century. Visit www.nminitiative.com to contribute to the cause.
One of the significant consequences of this lack of preparation and knowledge is the hindrance it poses to girls' education. Many girls in Nigeria face the difficult choice of missing school during their menstrual periods due to shame or the absence of proper facilities to manage their menstrual hygiene. Furthermore, schools often lack the necessary infrastructure to provide hygienic facilities, exacerbating the challenges faced by girls during this critical time in their lives. Additionally, teachers may not be equipped to address girls' inquiries about menstruation, further perpetuating the silence and stigma surrounding this natural bodily process.
The Instagram Live session hosted by Ugwuanyi Nicholason provided a platform to challenge the societal norms and taboos surrounding menstruation. Ms. Anna Neya, global charity expert, emphasized that only by breaking the silence, promoting open dialogue, and providing access to accurate information and resources, we can create a society that supports and empowers girls and women.
Stand with us in supporting Nicolas Motivates Initiative and join the movement to break the barriers of shame and silence surrounding menstruation. Together, we can empower girls and women, promote menstrual health and hygiene, fight stigma and taboos, and create sustainable change in Nigeria and beyond.
5 Reasons to Support Nicolas Motivates Initiative
1️⃣ Empowering Girls and Women: The initiative focuses on empowering girls and women by providing them with education, resources, and support to manage their menstrual health. By supporting Nicolas Motivates, you are helping to break the barriers that prevent girls and women from fully participating in daily activities, education, and work due to the challenges associated with menstruation.
2️⃣ Promoting Menstrual Health and Hygiene: The initiative is committed to promoting menstrual health and hygiene practices among girls and women. By supporting Nicolas Motivates, you are contributing to the provision of menstrual hygiene products, access to clean and safe facilities, and educational programs that teach girls and women about proper menstrual hygiene management.
3️⃣ Fighting Stigma and Taboos: Nicolas Motivates Initiative is actively challenging the societal stigma and taboos surrounding menstruation. By supporting this initiative, you are joining the movement to break down the barriers of shame and silence, and creating a more inclusive and supportive environment where menstruation is no longer a taboo topic.
4️⃣ Creating Sustainable Change: Nicolas Motivates Initiative is committed to creating sustainable change by advocating for policy reforms and implementing long-term solutions to address period poverty and menstrual challenges. Your support will contribute to the sustainable growth and impact of the initiative, making a lasting difference in the lives of girls and women in Nigeria, Abuja, and beyond.
5️⃣ Be a Part of the Solution: By supporting Nicolas Motivates Initiative, you are becoming an active participant in the movement to eliminate period poverty, menstrual shame, menstrual stigma, and menstrual taboos. Together, we can create a society where every girl and woman can embrace their menstrual health with dignity and without limitations.
At Neya Global, we are committed to addressing issues related to women, including health, like period poverty, menstrual shame, and menstrual stigma head-on. Through initiatives and partnerships we aim to raise awareness and support organizations that provide menstrual hygiene products, and advocate for policy changes that prioritize the menstrual well-being of girls and women.
The issue of period poverty contributes to several Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Here is a list of SDGs that are particularly relevant to addressing period poverty:
- SDG 1: No Poverty - Period poverty perpetuates the cycle of poverty, as it affects girls' and women's access to education, employment, and economic opportunities.
- SDG 3: Good Health and Well-being - Access to menstrual hygiene products, education, and proper sanitation facilities are essential for maintaining good health and well-being.
- SDG 4: Quality Education - Period poverty can hinder girls' access to education, leading to school absenteeism and dropout rates. Addressing period poverty is crucial for ensuring quality education for all.
- SDG 5: Gender Equality - Period poverty disproportionately affects girls and women, perpetuating gender inequality. By addressing this issue, we can promote gender equality and empower women and girls.
- SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation - Access to clean water and sanitation facilities is crucial for managing menstruation hygienically and safely. Period poverty highlights the need for improved water and sanitation infrastructure.
- SDG 10: Reduced Inequalities - Period poverty affects vulnerable and marginalized groups, exacerbating inequalities. Addressing this issue is essential for reducing inequalities and promoting social inclusion.
- SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production - Sustainable and affordable menstrual hygiene products play a role in responsible consumption and production, promoting environmental sustainability.
- SDG 17: Partnerships for the Goals - Collaboration and partnerships among governments, nonprofits, and other stakeholders are crucial for effectively addressing period poverty and achieving the SDGs.
By addressing period poverty, we can make significant progress towards achieving these SDGs and creating a more equitable and sustainable world for all.
Thank you once again for your invaluable support. Let's continue this journey together, breaking barriers, and building a more inclusive and equitable world!